Sunday, March 11, 2012

Timing is Everything

So today I got to work early and went into the greenhouse. The Mafioso Mourning Doves were stalking me for food, as were the Sparrows... but only after raucous efforts at love making by all. The Starlings were doing their weird impressions and the Sparrows began looking for their nesting areas.

The only 'flowers' I have are bulbs... daffs, tulips and hyacinths. No other plants, but it was 60 degrees out and I pressed the store manager to open the gate and let people know we were in business. He did.

People came. Out went mulch and fertilizer and grass seed and fencing and houseplants. There were questions about bald spots in the lawn, prime time to fertilize, when to kill weeds.

People were buying carts of lawn furniture.... grills were a hot commodity.

I was asked if we had Pansies yet.

..........

And the thought that's been niggling at me since November was still twitching, but I was too busy to parse it.

I clocked out and came home. There were kids in the park on the swings. Warm earth breath on my face. Crocus' were blooming... wild and purple.

I turned the key in the gangway door.

It's March 11th and this is all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment