Monday, August 22, 2011

I Hear...



After a long day and then a drive north and back, I came in and sat at the computer for a minute. I found the above quote/photo and saved it.

Then Meander and I headed down in the dark for his last walk. We went up the street and down the street and into the park where I stopped because... there was no noise but the crickets... thick with sound and the lake doing it's slow Autumn sigh that I used to go to sleep to. I closed my eyes for a moment, standing there..... and I could imagine that I was far north in Wisconsin on a different shore of the same lake. And that there was nothing more than this and if I stood long enough in that wooded place I would hear the wolves howl.

And I thought, this is why I saved the quote, because the lake's voice had become such a part of me and I miss it in ways too deep to explain.

We walked on, and out of the park and down the sidewalk when a light caught my eye. It was the windows of my old apartment and I remembered meeting George that morning while walking the dogs and him saying he had heard someone had moved into the building but he didn't know which apartment. Through the sunroom I could see a woman crossing the archway between the dining room and living room.... no doubt unpacking. Though I was not close, there was something large and royal blue on the wall, unlike Keith's large painting..... rose, in color.

I urged Meander home.

6 comments:

  1. This is so very good in so many ways. There is so much more going on here than just the surface narrative—and that itself is excellent. I really, really like these little jewels you're turning out. You have such a good eye for detail, and a talent for the telling word and sentence.

    BTW, I like your new page layout.

    [As a sort of riverbank uncle who worries…I hope you're getting through the summer in reasonable shape financially, physically, emotionally, taking care of yourself and Meander, having some fun. Email still works, ya know.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Grizz, for the kind words. We're surviving and that's saying something. BTW, I sort of like having a Riverbank Uncle. The care you project is palpable and I'm grateful.

    Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Spark, I felt like I was right there with you waiting to hear that wolf howl ;-)
    How are you my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Kiyotoe.... I'm missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel the melancholy...
    I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever get my email about needing your address?

    ReplyDelete